Report Fraud

Contact the fraud department of each of the three major credit reporting agencies (CRAs). Report the identity theft and request that the credit bureaus place a fraud alert and a victim's statement in your credit file. The fraud alert puts creditors on notice that you have been the victim of fraud, and the victim's statement asks them not to open additional accounts without first contacting you.

  • TransUnion Call the Fraud Victim Assistance Division: 1.800.680.7289 or write: P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92634
  • Equifax Call: 1.800.525.6285 or write: P.O. Box 740256, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
  • Experian Call: 1.888.EXPERIAN (397.3742) or write: P.O. Box 9532, Allen TX 75013

You may request a free copy of your credit report

CRAs must provide a free copy of your report if you have reason to believe the report is inaccurate because of fraud.

Review your report. Make sure no additional fraudulent accounts have been opened in your name or unauthorized changes made to your existing accounts.

File a report with your local police department.  Occasionally, credit reporting agencies will ask for a copy of the police report to submit as proof of the crime.

Contact the Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Hotline Toll-Free at 1.877.ID.THEFT (438.4338) or The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) puts the reported information into a secure consumer fraud database and shares it with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.

Contact BMI Federal Credit Union and any other financial institutions to notify them and to get new account numbers and PINs.

Finally, report the fraudulent use of your Social Security Number to the Social Security Administration by calling 1.800.269.0271.